How to Brew Coffee using Chemex - A Beginners Guide.
Today I’m going to introduce to you one of my favourite methods to brew coffee. The Chemex is an old school way of producing a great cup of coffee, as it really draws out all of the complexity and subtlety of our high grade, specialty light roasts.
We put this short video together to walk you through the basic steps on how to brew your coffee using a Chemex.
What you will need:
- Chemex filter papers
- Fresh Coffee
- Hand or electric grinder
The steps to brewing your coffee using the Chemex:
- Weigh out your coffee using 35g of coffee to 350ml of water as a guide
- Pour the beans into your grinder, but hold off grinding the beans for now!
- Fold filter paper into a cone and place in the top of the Chemex. When folded, the filter paper will form three sheets of paper at the front of the cone. Place this thicker section of the filter paper towards the pouring spout.
- Pour hot water over the filter paper to completely saturate the paper. Continue to pour hot water into the Chemex to preheat the vessel. Once you’re done, tip the water out. It’s fine to leave the filter paper in while tipping this waste water out.
- Now it’s time to grind the beans, using a course or medium grind. Then simply pour the coffee grind into the filter paper.
- Pour a small amount of hot water (around 90-93 degrees) over the coffee grind, just enough to wet them and allow them to swell up and bloom for 30 seconds.
- Continue to slowly pour water over the coffee grind avoiding the paper until the desired amount of coffee is brewed.
- Brew time should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the filter paper and enjoy!
Hope you find the video helpful and you enjoy your coffee!